4359Re: [Hammock Camping] Ed's down pea pod and down quilt

  • karens62@aol.com
    Jan 10, 2004
      Just realized I only partly answered this question. To ask "in the summer" or "in the spring" probably isn't the best question. I typically use a very lightweight summer bag (1 pound ,45*) or top blanket in the summer as well as my peapod, only because I sleep better if I have something  over me to cuddle under.  That setup will get me well down into the 40's. This does mean I am carrying too much if the night is in the mid-60's and above, but it's easy enough to drop one or the other off the side if I am too warm.   I could probably even get away without the top blanket in mid-summer if I wanted to wear long sleeves to bed, but I don't.

      If I was going out for a week or two, or longer this coming March and April in the south, I would probably carry the down peapod, a Target pad and my down top blanket. For night clothing I would pack polar fleece tights and long sleeved top.  I would also bring an emergency blanket, which I tend to carry anyway.  This would keep my pack, along with 3-4 days of food, in the 22-23 pound range. Not quite "gram-weenie" status, but acceptable for me.

      I'm not sure where you are coming from and going to, but it's important to remember its cold in the mountains here in the south. Ed was at Springer on Wednesday and it was 0* at 10am.  That's in Georgia and not unusual temps for January.

      Probably the best way to get an estimate for what you need for the temps you expect is the table on the hammock camping website.  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/SpeerStayWarm.htm

      Karen

      In a message dated 1/9/2004 2:39:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, shadesofblue33@... writes:

      Question.....If you were using ed's hammock....would you use the pea pod during the summer months on the AT or use the top quilt...or would you need both.  How about spring break (mid april).

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic