4223Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: REI

  • Robert Moore
    Dec 21, 2003
      Spread the word? Well maybe, just my end up with the government posting bans on hammocking for fear of tree damage. I would hate to see a 'trail head inspector' looking for HH's or Speers. Its easy enough now to stealth camp, in fact that much easier considering the hammcocks real estate advantage....on the serious side the hammock will mushroom into exceptance much like the internal frame pack, there is a collective cumbustible number of people who have to 'get in the know' or jump on the proverbial band wagon before it becomes as common as Avery wanted his Tobasco to be. I remember when my oldest daughter first got into an HH, it was after a week of camping on the upper P in Michigan, her response 'oooo this is nice' says it all.

      robbstanek <robbstanek@...> wrote:
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
      <firefly@e...> wrote:
      > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
      > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
      > Marsanne

      I work part time at the REI store near Dunwoody in Georgia. We've
      been stocking HH's for well over a year, and there are many of us in
      the store who own one. We're lucky, we have 2 trees out front that
      are just about perfect for a demo.

      Perhaps the reluctance comes from (1) lack of knowledge, and (2) once
      set up outside, any tent or hammock can be perceived as used. With
      the way we change the store plan, it's hard to find an area to set it
      up indoors consistently.

      I feel like a disciple in the HH church, as anyone who comes in
      looking for a lightweight solo shelter gets my HH intro. Last I
      looked, we had on exped in stock, but 5 asym backpackers.

      What can I say, spread the word...

      Robb

      Do you Yahoo!?