3965Re: [Hammock Camping] staying warm

  • Coy
    Dec 7, 2003
      I imagine the Ponderaos is about as good as it gets. I'm considering
      something like a Nort Face Golith or Mammoth. I would have to
      modify it with a hole in the end for the hammock line to pass out but
      the 6' 8" version might be long enough to get a speere inside. The
      hood on the bottom might want to hang down or maybe pass the head end
      rope through the "modified hood" something like a big gromet. It
      weighs 4 lb 10 oz but of couse I would be doing away with any pad
      except for really cold nights which i would have to experiment to find
      the low it would go. Basically like the PeaPod I'm looking to get a
      sleeping bag which will fit around my setup. you could always "loan"
      me the Ponderosa. I would send it right back LOL

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <simva4040@y...>
      wrote:
      > Coy,
      > The more I play with the Ponderosa the more I like it....I guess I
      have been spoiled by the Arc Alpinist-the lightest amount of sleeping
      warmth you can carry, and I always carry a WM Flight, so the two, well
      I could go on and on...but the Ponderosa just may have an advantage
      over the other pods....I was reading that Risk keeps a knife with him
      so he can get out ....in the Pon/Crib combo you dont have that
      worry.....I did sleep in the Nunatak down balaclava this evening to
      get a feel for it....wonderful is an understatement but if you know
      the Arc alpinist then you know their workmanship....
      > Wednesday night we (La AquaNa) and I will be testing hammock
      variations of insulation at Ripshin (realistic temps there)...she
      doesnt want to deal with the tacos/underquilts/pods right now and is
      trying to go it with pads...since she is 5'2 and very light and not
      wide I told her she would probably do well with a Therm-a-rest and an
      additional closed cell pad placed 90 to the therm-a-rest....