3959Re: [Hammock Camping] staying warm

  • Robert Moore
    Dec 7, 2003
      Coy,
      The more I play with the Ponderosa the more I like it....I guess I have been spoiled by the Arc Alpinist-the lightest amount of sleeping warmth you can carry, and I always carry a WM Flight, so the two, well I could go on and on...but the Ponderosa just may have an advantage over the other pods....I was reading that Risk keeps a knife with him so he can get out ....in the Pon/Crib combo you dont have that worry.....I did sleep in the Nunatak down balaclava this evening to get a feel for it....wonderful is an understatement but if you know the Arc alpinist then you know their workmanship....
      Wednesday night we (La AquaNa) and I will be testing hammock variations of insulation at Ripshin (realistic temps there)...she doesnt want to deal with the tacos/underquilts/pods right now and is trying to go it with pads...since she is 5'2 and very light and not wide I told her she would probably do well with a Therm-a-rest and an additional closed cell pad placed 90 to the therm-a-rest....
      OK for now, here in the hospital at the moment and will be all night.
      Medicine Man

      Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
      Medicine Man

      Thanks, and when you have "all" the answers I'm all ears LOL.  As
      for the straps exiting as one,  Yep, thats pretty much what I
      experienced.  On the other hand my daughter has sort of laid claim
      to the Crib and when she uses it the straps dont draw up so tight or
      close together.  Maybe I need to lose some weight LOL.

      It was cold here all day (Sat) but it got up to 40 for a few
      minutes.  We had sleet and snow Friday but no acculation  High Fri
      was 36.  The ground is still to warm.  Great testing weather... I
      think?

      for now I'm on the lookout for a "big man" rectangular bag like you
      see in Sportsmans Guide etc.   I know they weigh a ton but I could
      test the concept with different hammocks to see if it will work for
      me.  Then either get a Ponderosa, PeaPod, or a homemade version.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <simva4040@y...>
      wrote:
      > Coy,
      > So many questions and many I cannot answer because in all honesty
      I have not taken the Ponderosa/Crib on a hike yet....our last 2
      sections we slacked ( I had done them before and La AquaNa needed
      them, they were around Hotsprings NC so we took the opportunity to
      use the hot springs after each hike-luxury hiking!).....The system I
      have hiked with is the taco/HH with varying insulation.
      > The 6'6" Ponderosa had no problem covering up my head and still
      providing good (well complete) coverage of the foot area.....but not
      wanting condensation inside I ordered the Nunatak balaclava to use
      in this system.
      > The Crib does lay differently than the HH, and though I have the a-
      sym I never slept crosswise in it and wont in the Crib....in trials
      with La AquaNa padding me down to see if the down was every
      compressed we found that wasnt even in the fetal position--so with
      that I'm thinking the Ponderosa may not be as wide in the middle as
      the peapod, it is still a wide bag....which makes me wonder what the
      Spear PeaPod will cost when it comes out in down????
      > As far as wind driven rain/snow....I use the Golite Cave2 tarp
      instead of the OME fly that came with the HH...I like it for the
      real estate below though it is a heavy tarp at around a pound....but
      it is so large I havent had any problems with the driven water-I did
      with the OME with some intense horizontal rain behind Albert Mtn
      shelter, my underquilt got wet but I was still warm, it was then
      that I switched to the Cave2....
      > Yes my Crib has 2 straps but when weighted and pulled tight they
      are essentially one strap leaving the hammock....did you look
      closely at the pics I posted at whiteblaze.net of the setup? if so
      you saw that the foot end appears only to have one strap leaving the
      foot box.....
      > Ok, sorry I was late and missed your questions....I do love the
      Ponderosa, we have taken it on many a hike to sleep under as a
      comforter in the motel or hostel and its original intent was paddle
      camping where the kayak doesnt care how much it weighs :)
      > Medicine Man
      > oooo, forgot, here in the shadow of Roan Mountain it hasnt gotten
      above 24 degrees all day.

      > Coy <starnescr@y...> wrote:
      > Bob
      >
      > I seee no one answered your questions, mine either, so I'll give
      you
      > what I know and what I suspect.  See below.
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mittelman
      > <rmittelman@s...> wrote:
      > > Robert,
      > >
      > > I am considering buying a hammock and need either a new winter
      bag
      > for a January snow shoeing trip to northern Maine, or an overbag
      for
      > my long mummy bag that is comfortable into the single digits.
      Hence
      > my interest in your Crib/Ponderosa set up.  I have a few questions:
      > >
      > > 1) what length Ponderosa do you have?  I would think that the 7'
      > would be best for Pea Pod use, but for my overbag needs, 6' 6"
      > should be sufficient.  I don't plan on using a hammock on my Maine
      > trip.
      >
      > I would think the 7 foot version would be best with a speer type,
      > The crib is shorter by a little and is wider at each end.  it uses
      2
      > straps and it dosent quite come together at the ends like a Soeer
      or
      > Hennessy.  The bag will still need to slide down the hammock a
      > little but with a 7 foot bag it would be close to being able to
      zip
      > it closed at the middle of the foot end where the hanging strap
      > exits the bag.
      > >
      > > 2) Coy has a post where he questions using a Ponderosa as a Pea
      > Pod for a Speer hammock.  I haven't seen a response from you, but
      > thought I'd ask if you have any thoughts on the subject.
      >
      > The Crib is narrower than the Speere so I may try to make a Speere
      > little narrower.  I don't think the Ponderosa is as big in the
      > middle as Eds PeaPod.
      > >
      > > 3) how does the Crib sleep relative to your Hennessey?  Which is
      > more comfortable and why?  Do you sleep in the Crib on the
      diagonal,
      > as in the Hennessey and Speer?  If not, how do you avoid the
      banana
      > shape?  Will sleeping on the diagonal be possible when using the
      > Ponderosa as a Pea Pod, given the barrel shape of the Ponderosa?
      >
      > I have a Crib but mine uses the hoops so mine dosn't pinch at the
      > shoulders as much as the regular Crib.  I have tried mine without
      > the spreaded bars (hoops) and it definatly closes around me
      tighter
      > than my hennessys do.  But it is still very confortable.  I sleep
      > little flatter in the HH than I do in the Crib especially sans the
      > spreader hoops.
      > >
      > > 4) have you used the Crib/Ponderosa in snowy, windy conditions?
      > If so, was snow blowing into the hammock a problem?
      >
      > I imagine the head sticking out will allow some blowing snow
      around
      > the face area but hanging the tarp low and devising a wind break
      > with spare rain jacket etc at the head end will help.  When using
      > the Ponderosa as a PeaPod I doubt the netting would be in use even
      > though it helps block a little wind and most snow.  Maybe throw a
      > Frogg Togg top over my head if the snow was blowing that bad.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > Bob Mittelman
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT