3953Re: [Hammock Camping] staying warm

  • Robert Mittelman
    Dec 6, 2003
      Thanks, CB!
      Bob Mittelman

      Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

      I seee no one answered your questions, mine either, so I'll give you
      what I know and what I suspect.  See below.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mittelman
      <rmittelman@s...> wrote:
      > Robert,

      > I am considering buying a hammock and need either a new winter bag
      for a January snow shoeing trip to northern Maine, or an overbag for
      my long mummy bag that is comfortable into the single digits.  Hence
      my interest in your Crib/Ponderosa set up.  I have a few questions:

      > 1) what length Ponderosa do you have?  I would think that the 7'
      would be best for Pea Pod use, but for my overbag needs, 6' 6"
      should be sufficient.  I don't plan on using a hammock on my Maine

      I would think the 7 foot version would be best with a speer type,
      The crib is shorter by a little and is wider at each end.  it uses 2
      straps and it dosent quite come together at the ends like a Soeer or
      Hennessy.  The bag will still need to slide down the hammock a
      little but with a 7 foot bag it would be close to being able to zip
      it closed at the middle of the foot end where the hanging strap
      exits the bag.

      > 2) Coy has a post where he questions using a Ponderosa as a Pea
      Pod for a Speer hammock.  I haven't seen a response from you, but
      thought I'd ask if you have any thoughts on the subject.

      The Crib is narrower than the Speere so I may try to make a Speere a
      little narrower.  I don't think the Ponderosa is as big in the
      middle as Eds PeaPod.

      > 3) how does the Crib sleep relative to your Hennessey?  Which is
      more comfortable and why?  Do you sleep in the Crib on the diagonal,
      as in the Hennessey and Speer?  If not, how do you avoid the banana
      shape?  Will sleeping on the diagonal be possible when using the
      Ponderosa as a Pea Pod, given the barrel shape of the Ponderosa?

      I have a Crib but mine uses the hoops so mine dosn't pinch at the
      shoulders as much as the regular Crib.  I have tried mine without
      the spreaded bars (hoops) and it definatly closes around me tighter
      than my hennessys do.  But it is still very confortable.  I sleep a
      little flatter in the HH than I do in the Crib especially sans the
      spreader hoops.

      > 4) have you used the Crib/Ponderosa in snowy, windy conditions?
      If so, was snow blowing into the hammock a problem?

      I imagine the head sticking out will allow some blowing snow around
      the face area but hanging the tarp low and devising a wind break
      with spare rain jacket etc at the head end will help.  When using
      the Ponderosa as a PeaPod I doubt the netting would be in use even
      though it helps block a little wind and most snow.  Maybe throw a
      Frogg Togg top over my head if the snow was blowing that bad.

      > Thanks.

      > Bob Mittelman

      Coy Boy