376Re: Bottom Quilt for HH...

  • debweisenstein <dweisens@aer.com>
    Jan 30, 2003
      I don't believe the Cunningham/Burton table. At least it sure
      wouldn't work for me. Here's a sleeping table put together from my own
      experience and by checking some sleeping bag loft vs temperature
      ratings (but watch out for manufacturer's rating - they can be way
      off). I may sleep colder than alot of people, but I've been winter
      camping in New England for years and know what works for me down to
      -26F. This assumes minimal clothing inside the sleeping bag but use
      in a tent or other environment protected from wind.

      Temp. Sleeping Bag Loft Single Thickness
      40 3-3.5 1.5-1.75
      30 4 inches 2.0
      20 5.5 2.75
      10 6-6.5 3-3.25
      0 7 3.5
      -10 7.5-8 3.75-4
      -20 8-9 4-4.5

      > Gerry Cunningham in "Light Weight Camping Equipment and How to Make
      It" 4th
      > ed. page 117 quotes a table from A.C. Burton, "Man in a Cold
      Environment",
      > Williams & Wilkins Co., 1955. which gives the required thickness
      from skin to
      > the outer garment layer.
      >
      > Temp. Sleeping Light Work Heavy Work
      > 40°F 1.5" 0.8" 0.20"
      > 20°F 2.0" 1.0" 0.27"
      > 0°F 2.5" 1.3" 0.35"
      > -20°F 3.0" 1.6" 0.40"
      > -40°F 3.5" 1.9" 0.48"
      > -60°F 4.0" 2.1" 0.52"
      >
      > I have tried and failed to find the original work.
      >
      > Bill Murdoch
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic