      From: sjsierra2002 [mailto:sjsierra@...]
      Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 10:02 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping First-time hammocker cool-weather help

      Hello all -- I am a newbie hammocker -- just got a HH a few weeks
      ago, and I've been looking forward to trying it out on a four-day
      solo over next weekend.  The forecasts for next weekend are for temps
      in the 30's in north-central PA, where I'm going.  I won't have a
      chance to sleep out in temps that low before I go:  we're having a
      warm spell here in Philadelphia, and the nighttime temps aren't going
      below the upper 40's.

      Right now my strategy for staying warm is a 20 degree sleeping bag,
      warm clothing, and a Target blue foam pad.  I'll bring a space
      blanket to put between the pad and the hammock for extra insulation
      if needed.  Do you think this will be OK?

      (I'm generally a warm sleeper.  Saturday night, when I slept out in
      my backyard, I was wearing mid-weight long underwear and was toasty
      in my sleeping bag -- I did put on a fleece vest halfway through the
      night.  The low was 48.)

      Thanks for your help.  Ordinarily I'd like to test my gear a bit more
      before relying on it for a trip like this, but it just hasn't worked
      out that way.

      Bunchberry