3184Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Risk
    Oct 5, 2003
      Ed,

      Ray will post his own reply, but I believe that he has found a pretty
      optimum size. This may be about as small as the stove can be and
      still be self sustaining. He used, and I copied, a stove made from a
      tin can which is 4 3/8 in (11.1 cm) tall and 2 7/8 in (7.4 cm)in
      diameter. This is a common can size for many vegetables in the US.

      From reading the literature, a taller stove does give a longer burn
      time. But for most backpack cooking this is a pretty good time. I
      did find yesterday, that if I wanted to increase the time, I could add
      another batch of small sticks when the stove enters the charcoal phase
      and it would be back to gassifying very quickly. This burn is not
      quite as efficient, because the heat is below the sticks and not
      working its way down through them.

      I am interested in seeing what Ray has to add to this.

      BTW,

      There is a small chance we should think about moving this discussion
      to another group as it has been staying off hammock camping for quite
      a while. How about BPL? Ray?

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "efield" <efield@c...> wrote:
      > I have a couple of questions.
      >
      > 1. Ray said in his earlier posts that the larger the diameter the
      can, the
      > more heat was produced. Has anyone come up with an otimum diameter for a
      > backpacking stove.
      >
      > 2. Does the height of the fuel load have much affect on the total
      burn time?
      > Would a taller stove
      > give longer burn times?
      >

      > Great work to all who are testing these stoves.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic