3133Hammock Camping Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Ray Garlington
    Oct 3, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
      wrote:
      > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
      very
      > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
      simple
      > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.

      Shane,

      Thanks for your interest. The stove is really quite convenient and
      fun once you get the hang of it. At 4 oz, it is good for backpacking
      where dry fuel will be available (or be collected and dried). I
      would like to improve the bottom insulation somewhat so that it can
      be used on flammable surfaces (like a picnic table).

      > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
      clear on
      > that point.

      Yes, I neglected this point, but won't be able to take pictures &
      update the page until probably monday. If you want to try it before
      then, just get some chicken wire, rabbit wire or similar and fashion
      a grate that will keep the wood off the bottom of the can. That way
      air can circulate under the fuel charge. There is nothing tricky
      going on there. In fact, there is nothing tricky going on at all,
      except the non-intuitive idea of loading the stove and igniting the
      top of the fuel! If you have the materials, you can make the stove
      in about 5 minutes.

      Ray
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic