3127Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

    Oct 3, 2003
      Yeah, I agree totally with Shane, that is some neat stuff that Ray is
      doing with his stove. For what it is worth, I came across a great
      reference on stove designs: "The Training Manual for Cookstoves" by
      the Peace Corp. It has some great info about stove designs,
      efficiencies and how they actually work. It has a well layed out
      table of contents that allows you to go to the particular subject
      that you are interested in. When I looked at it, I could see clearly
      why the "real Trangia stoves" were so efficient and also why my
      Japanese Komono grill works so well. It showed me what I had already
      discovered: the efficiency of homemade backpacking stoves is not so
      much in the burner design, but in the design of "all the things that
      make up the stove"; for the popular alcohol stoves it would include
      the bottom reflector, preheat pan, burner, stove stand, wind screen
      and the pot-- the best stove is one in which the dimensions of all
      these things are designed to work together. Anyway, if you are
      interested the Peace Corp stove manual can be found at

      Like I said, it has some great info about stoves and how they work.
      And Ray, keep up the good work and don't fret about using alcohol to
      start your stove-- it is good to have for other purposes anyway, like
      as a disinfectant for your hands.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
      > > > I will put together a web page with some
      > > > pictures and additional detail. Comments are welcome.
      > >
      > > see: http://raygarlington.50mb.org/WoodGasStove/WoodGasStove.htm
      > I'm WAY behind in the list, but I just thought I'd say that I am
      > excited about this one Ray. I've thought for a long time that a
      > gasifying wood stove would be excellent for backpacking.
      > Can you provide an image for the screen? The construction isn't
      clear on
      > that point.
      > Thanks!
      > Shane Steinkamp