3109Success at 23 degrees F

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Oct 2, 2003
      It got cold in Dayton last night. The prediction was for high 20s, so I put up
      the hammock.

      Equipment: Risk's Bag, tightened around my neck, fleece balaclava,
      polypropylene long underwear tops and bottoms, nylon shorts. Sealskinz socks
      over polypropylene socks. Quarterweight hammock with bugnet closed and with
      Target overlap pad. 5x10 foot tarp over hammock.

      I went to bed at 1015 PM. All temperatures below are degrees Fahrenheit.

      Observations at 0015 AM:
      Temperature of tree's bark: 36
      Wind: 10 - 15 mph
      Outside top of bag top: 47
      Outside of hammock bottom: 47
      Inside of bag top: 81
      Inside of bag bottom: 74
      Abdomen skin temperature: 97
      Buttocks skin temperature: 87

      Observations at 0215 AM:
      Temperature of tree's bark: 29
      Wind: calm
      Outside top of bag top: 43
      Outside of hammock bottom: 40
      Inside of bag top: 82
      Inside of bag bottom: 84
      Abdomen skin temperature: 97
      Buttocks skin temperature: 87

      Observations at 0400 AM:
      Temperature of tree's bark: 23
      Wind: calm
      Outside top of bag top: 39
      Outside of hammock bottom: 36
      Inside of bag top: 87
      Inside of bag bottom: 74
      Abdomen skin temperature: 98
      Buttocks skin temperature: 89

      Sorry about the "Buttocks skin temperature" I do not mean to be stressing
      anyone's sensitivities. It's just that, in my experience, this is the part of
      my skin that gets the coldest in a hammock. Reason may be that it has the most
      pressure on the skin capilaries and presses the insulation of the pad and bag
      the hardest. I am open to changing the term if anyone has a better one.

      I was nice and warm all night. I had been concerned about the wind when I went
      to bed. The tarp protected me well from its effects.

      When we get an even colder night I will be doing more measurements.

      Register a Domain and get Hosting included @ http://www.catalog.com!
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic