3108Re: off topic -- diy wood burning backpacking stove

  • Ray Garlington
    Oct 2, 2003
      > I was trying to imagine where the fire grate (screen) goes.

      You need about 1/8" to 1/4" of air space at the bottom of the can. I
      just used multiple layers of folded chicken wire and pushed it down
      to the very bottom of the can. You have enough space if you can look
      through one of the primary air holes and see light through the
      opposite one.

      > I am impressed that it will burn so long on one 2 oz load of fuel.

      Yes, it surprises me too. Also, no smoke! which is also a nice
      surprise.

      > I was expecting it to need reloaded like i hear the Zip and other
      > similar stoves need.

      If you do reload this stove as it burns down, it will smoke. It is
      probably better to size the burner to the amount of heat you will
      need rather than try to reload one that is too small.

      > What can are you using?

      I'm using a small can that vegetables came in. It is 3 inches in
      diameter and 4 1/2 inches tall.

      > I have a maxwell house coffee can which would
      > probably work great.

      This can is much bigger than the one I used. It will generate a lot
      more heat and will require more wood. Let me know how it turns out.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic