      From: Coy [mailto:starnescr@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 6:01 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping Re: Pads and Bags... Darn cold weather..

      Patrick (got it right finally)

      Oh and I forgot to answer your question.  No I havent tried a
      Garlington Insulator yet. Give me time. I built my first hammock
      today. I feel like I'm on a roll.  I have used a 20 degree, a 0
      degree, and most recently a 30 degree bag but never more than one
      bag at a time. Using the bag as a quilt i actually think the loft is
      increased bacause the bag is folded around in places on top instead
      of stretched out like it is when I'm in it zipped up.  I did zip the
      30 degree Wisp when I used it in my hammock just to see if I could.

      Coy Boy
      PS Maybe Ray can answer your questions on the Garlington
      Insulator.

      > Oops No I just cant spell worth a flip.
      >
      > Pactrick
      >
      > It is easier to not have to get inside a sleeping bag.  I have
      tried
      > several ways.  I actually like using my smaller bag like a quilt
      > with my feet in the bottom but the rest just pulled around me.
      Fact
      > is, I could never get a pad inside this bag even if I wanted to.
      > do have an old school metal valve thermarest pad shaped like a
      > sleeping bag, in fact it is the bottom of a sleeping bag.  Down
      > sleeping bags are pretty much usless on the bottom any way.
      > Synthetics fair a little better. I have slept out on a few nights
      in
      > the low 20's upper teens using a blue foam pad and my super wide
      > reflectix/fleece pad. But I think I could have made it with the 2
      > blue foam pads just as well.  My reflectic/fleece pad is a
      monster,
      > 40 inches wide at the shoulders and about a pound and a half but
      > makes a really big bundle.
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "freak_of_nature_98"
      > <pharper@k...> wrote:
      > > I don't know if you meant "Pack-trick" for my name or if that
      was
      > > just a mispelling, but that used to be my trail-name when I was
      > > kid. :) Thank you for your reply, I had one other quick question
      > for
      > > you.  Do you use just one bag with the two pads?
      > >
      > > Okay, maybe I have two questions, have you used the Garlington
      > > insulator?  Is the two pad thing any comparison to amount of
      > > warmth?  I would use the insulator, but with the HH it is a
      little
      > > hard to get rigged right.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Patrick
      > >

      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Hi Pactrick.
      > > >
      > > > I would guess having the pad inside the sleeping bag would be
      > > tad
      > > > warmmer but not much. But a therm-a-Rest is not as warm as a
      > blue
      > > > foam (well the thin 1 in therm-a-rest anyways).  So to answer
      > your
      > > > question, the wide blue foam under the bag and a smaller cut
      > > fit
      > > > blue foam inside should do the trick.  But if not add more
      foam.
      > > > Really nothing but simple laws of phisics at work.  It is one
      > > reason
      > > > so many have been experimenting with different types of
      > suspended
      > > > blankets to hang under the hammock.  You get a higer loft
      (more
      > > > insulation) but dont have to lug several bulky pads around. On
      > the
      > > > brightside for pads that is, they are cheap and dont weigh
      > much.
      > > > have no remorse using 2 pads for cold weather. Still more
      > > > comfortable than the ground.  You can experiment with several
      > > types
      > > > of padding but the less comperssable the better.

> [...]
      This