      From: Jim Rubino [mailto:jrubino@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:15 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping Silnylon question and Hammock report

      Hey all, first a question that doesn't exactly deal with hammocks.
      How durable is silnylon? As a biker/tree-hanger I was thinking that this
      material might be perfect to cover the front crash bars on my motorcycle.
      But will it be durable enough to handle 70+ mph winds for extended
      durations? Will it stop the wind at this speed? If I install snaps will that
      tear the fabric? Or is there a better way to attach it around a bar
      temporarily? (I am asking here because y'all seem to be the most
      knowledgeable people I know on this subject) oh and to sort of relate it to
      hammock camping, I take my hammock when traveling on my bike. That leads me
      to the second part...

      Sportsman's guide hammock review:
      Before my 2 week trip to Sturgis, SD for a motorcycle rally, I asked a few
      questions about hanging a hammock with only one anchor point. I am glad to
      and had no problem, the other 3 nights we spent indoors for various reasons.
      My camping rig consisted of the following:
      1 Sportsman's guide blue hammock
      1 5 x 8 typical blue tarp with grommets
      1 blue waffle type sleeping pad
      1 VERY light weight sleeping bag
      4 tent stakes

      Luckily bugs were never an issue so I never wished I had any bug-net type
      stuff. As for the actual use of the hammock, it worked out fair to good. (in
      hammock terms, but much better than a tent) the hammock itself is priced
      fairly, it is not a great hammock but it did it's job. I did have one of the
      support strings in the "fan" part of the strings break. I didn't notice any
      ill effects from this other than me being a bit nervous the first time
      getting in after this. The tarp was a bit noisy, but nothing compared to
      tons of motorcycles driving all along the campground all night, so it didn't
      bother me. In the woods it would probably drive me crazy. I did make quite a
      few bikers re-think their sleeping arrangements, I would wake up after a
      long day of riding, and a long night of playing without a sore bone in my
      body. Not many ground dwellers could claim the same. I did cheat a little
      and have a small kid's tent as a backup but it proved worth it's space by
      becoming my storage/changing room. So the short story is that I would like
      to thank y'all for the help and giving me the confidence to take the
      hammock. It worked great.