2955Re: GI -- "Bag of Feathers" insulation

  • chcoa
    Sep 22, 2003
      What is your ultimate goal for this Ray? I mean is it something you
      will only want to use when it's very very cold? I can't imagine this
      being very compact so I would think it would only be a winter gear
      item. Is this right?

      jamie in az

      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > I did some work on the "bag of feathers" insulation and thought
      these
      > observations might help people thinking of making one. I did not
      > test it yet, because the temperatures were not low enough where I
      was
      > in upstate NY. (Just down to 50F at night)
      >
      > Here is what I did: Cut a piece of sil-nylon about 5'x5', folded
      it
      > in half and sewed the remaining perimeter except for the last 9" or
      > so. I sewed each edge, then folded it over and sewed it again
      > creating a double sewed seam. I then opened an old army mummy bag,
      > section by section, and transferred all the feathers into the sil-
      > nylon bag. (By the way, this appears to be about twice as many
      > feathers as needed to make a good pad.) I then temporarily closed
      > the opening by tying an overhand knot in the fabric.
      >
      > Problems:
      > 1. When you open the mummy bag to extract the feathers, they will
      > fly everywhere. I tried using a spray bottle of water, which tamed
      > them a little, but then they stuck to my fingers. In the end, I
      just
      > worked outside on a porch on a calm day and settled for a little
      loss
      > and a cleanup job.
      >
      > 2. Sil-nylon has zero porosity. When you go to stuff this bag, it
      > takes a long time to force the air out through the seams. I need
      > make a valve of some sort, or put in a section of some very
      > breathable fabric.
      >
      > 3. not cold enough to test
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic