2943Re: GI -- "Bag of Feathers" insulation

  • Coy
    Sep 22, 2003
      Thanks. Yes the speer is easier to put a quilt pad under. By open
      in the middle I meant no baffles, should have worded it better but
      you figured it out. Will wait to see how it works for you. Might
      be a project I can handle. I notice I cover about 6 inches of the
      slit if I really concentrate on getting as diagonal as possible. But
      this is with my Rxpedition Asym which seems a lot wider than my
      Origional or Backpacker Asym. I cover more of the entry slit in
      them.

      Coy Boy

      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > > If I follow you your pad is 2.5' wide and 5' long and open in
      the
      > > middle. Did you consider baffels of any kind.
      >
      > Yes, it is 2.5'wide and 5' long. (not sure what you mean by open
      in
      > the middle.) It really is just a big bag of feathers, with no
      > baffels of any kind. I didn't make any baffels (yet) -- I like to
      try
      > the simplest configuration first, then make things more
      complicated
      > as necessary.
      >
      > > It seems the down
      > > will want to congergat at the center and leave the perimeter
      thin
      > > but I don't know.
      > The gravity will pull the feathers to the middle, but they fluff
      up
      > enough that it might not matter. Not sure yet.
      >
      > > Are you still using your HH and if so is this pad
      > > for it? How will you attach it? I'm picturing it running
      > diagonally
      > > across the hammock bearly covering some of the entry slit.
      >
      > I haven't used the HH since making the Speer; however, I have
      > experimented with it some. the bag will go past the split at
      least
      > foot or so. the GI makes getting into the HH a little bit of a
      > project, but you get better at it with some practice.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic