2941Re: GI -- "Bag of Feathers" insulation

  • Ray Garlington
    Sep 22 10:26 AM
      > If I follow you your pad is 2.5' wide and 5' long and open in the
      > middle. Did you consider baffels of any kind.

      Yes, it is 2.5'wide and 5' long. (not sure what you mean by open in
      the middle.) It really is just a big bag of feathers, with no
      baffels of any kind. I didn't make any baffels (yet) -- I like to try
      the simplest configuration first, then make things more complicated
      as necessary.

      > It seems the down
      > will want to congergat at the center and leave the perimeter thin
      > but I don't know.
      The gravity will pull the feathers to the middle, but they fluff up
      enough that it might not matter. Not sure yet.

      > Are you still using your HH and if so is this pad
      > for it? How will you attach it? I'm picturing it running
      diagonally
      > across the hammock bearly covering some of the entry slit.

      I haven't used the HH since making the Speer; however, I have
      experimented with it some. the bag will go past the split at least
      foot or so. the GI makes getting into the HH a little bit of a
      project, but you get better at it with some practice.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic