2939Re: Hammock Hangers Trip Report--Sep 20 2003

  • Coy
    Sep 22, 2003
      Hi Ed

      Sounds like a great trip. I looked some of the pictures of the area
      and it sure is a nice location. I would have loved to join in.
      Sounds like I missed some good eating, swimming, hiking, and just
      plain old campfire talk. It would have neen nice to see you and
      Karen again and meet the newcommers, Susan and Tray. Maybe next
      time. Keep us posted on the possible location and date for a winter
      gathering. I would be game if I can fit it in my schedual and
      budget. Dang high gas prices.

      Coy Boy
      PS are yall going to post any pics?

      > The weather was perfect for our Hammock Hangers trip this past
      > weekend! Early Fall temps, bright sunny skies during the day, and
      > starry skies at night made the campout enjoyable and peaceful.
      Karen
      > and I hiked in from the north trailhead Friday night and set up
      our
      > hammocks in the dark; on Sat am, I hiked out and drove to the
      south
      > trailhead where I met Susan and Trey. After shuttling a car back
      > the north trailhead, the three of us hiked the 4 miles north along
      > North Harper Creek to our campsite. It wasn't long before Trey
      > pulled out some of Susan's wonder cake and I was hooked (see the
      > recipe for this 'Candied Light Fruitcake' in message 2931).
      Thanks
      > Susan!
      >
      > We arrived mid afternoon and rejoined Karen, who was spending a
      long-
      > overdue relaxing day in camp--napping, reading, and cooling off in
      > the creek. We quickly set up a hammock for Susan, who got her
      first
      > taste of the good camp life--she soon was swinging like a pro!
      Trey,
      > also tried the hammock and agreed on it's comfort and
      convenience.
      > The rest of the afternoon was spend relaxing in camp and getting
      > know each other. Conversation continued thru dinner and, as
      darkness
      > fell, around a small campfire. For the second night, Karen & I did
      > not set up our tarps--instead we enjoyed the stars thru the thick
      > canopy of Holly trees. Around 3am, the bright moon was out
      sending
      > shafts of soft pale light thru the trees. Waking up Sun am in an
      > open hammock, under the trees was quite remarkable--a few birds
      were
      > about, the creek was cascading nearby and all was right with the
      > world. After breakfast, we packed up and headed out, reaching the
      > car by 11; soon it was time to say goodby. All the best to Susan
      and
      > Trey for joining us--we hope to see you again.
      >
      > Several folks had to cancel out of this trip at the last minute--
      > sorry you didn't make it, but we plan to do another one soon.
      > Perhaps a cold weather campout in Dec. ...Ed & Karen

      > > Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic