2937Hammock Hangers Trip Report--Sep 20 2003

    Sep 22, 2003
      The weather was perfect for our Hammock Hangers trip this past
      weekend! Early Fall temps, bright sunny skies during the day, and
      starry skies at night made the campout enjoyable and peaceful. Karen
      and I hiked in from the north trailhead Friday night and set up our
      hammocks in the dark; on Sat am, I hiked out and drove to the south
      trailhead where I met Susan and Trey. After shuttling a car back to
      the north trailhead, the three of us hiked the 4 miles north along
      North Harper Creek to our campsite. It wasn't long before Trey
      pulled out some of Susan's wonder cake and I was hooked (see the
      recipe for this 'Candied Light Fruitcake' in message 2931). Thanks

      We arrived mid afternoon and rejoined Karen, who was spending a long-
      overdue relaxing day in camp--napping, reading, and cooling off in
      the creek. We quickly set up a hammock for Susan, who got her first
      taste of the good camp life--she soon was swinging like a pro! Trey,
      also tried the hammock and agreed on it's comfort and convenience.
      The rest of the afternoon was spend relaxing in camp and getting to
      know each other. Conversation continued thru dinner and, as darkness
      fell, around a small campfire. For the second night, Karen & I did
      not set up our tarps--instead we enjoyed the stars thru the thick
      canopy of Holly trees. Around 3am, the bright moon was out sending
      shafts of soft pale light thru the trees. Waking up Sun am in an
      open hammock, under the trees was quite remarkable--a few birds were
      about, the creek was cascading nearby and all was right with the
      world. After breakfast, we packed up and headed out, reaching the
      car by 11; soon it was time to say goodby. All the best to Susan and
      Trey for joining us--we hope to see you again.

      Several folks had to cancel out of this trip at the last minute--
      sorry you didn't make it, but we plan to do another one soon.
      Perhaps a cold weather campout in Dec. ...Ed & Karen

      > Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic