2936GI -- "Bag of Feathers" insulation

  • Ray Garlington
    Sep 22, 2003
      I did some work on the "bag of feathers" insulation and thought these
      observations might help people thinking of making one. I did not
      test it yet, because the temperatures were not low enough where I was
      in upstate NY. (Just down to 50F at night)

      Here is what I did: Cut a piece of sil-nylon about 5'x5', folded it
      in half and sewed the remaining perimeter except for the last 9" or
      so. I sewed each edge, then folded it over and sewed it again
      creating a double sewed seam. I then opened an old army mummy bag,
      section by section, and transferred all the feathers into the sil-
      nylon bag. (By the way, this appears to be about twice as many
      feathers as needed to make a good pad.) I then temporarily closed
      the opening by tying an overhand knot in the fabric.

      Problems:
      1. When you open the mummy bag to extract the feathers, they will
      fly everywhere. I tried using a spray bottle of water, which tamed
      them a little, but then they stuck to my fingers. In the end, I just
      worked outside on a porch on a calm day and settled for a little loss
      and a cleanup job.

      2. Sil-nylon has zero porosity. When you go to stuff this bag, it
      takes a long time to force the air out through the seams. I need to
      make a valve of some sort, or put in a section of some very
      breathable fabric.

      3. not cold enough to test
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic