2892RE: Hammock Camping Re: Breaking Strength of support webbing/rope/cord

  • Thomas Peltier
    Sep 16, 2003

      I weigh about 155 and I use 550 lb test.  That is plenty for my comfort.

      From: subypower [mailto:a9144me@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 3:49 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

      well i guess i get to defend myself now... but i did an experiment to
      prove either way so here it goes:

      took my mayan hammock, strung it up with a scale on one end

      put 30 lbs ( loaded pack )in the hammock, and change angle of hammock
      record numbers

      well here it is ( all angles aprox. ):

      30  17 lbs
      45  22 lbs
      15  37 lbs

      well I was wrong and bow to everyones master hood

      but it is not as bad as the math says it is... never doubled the
      original weight on each end but did increase past the weight

      so in retrospect a 200 lb person would put about 250 lbs per side at
      15 or so degrees and the standard rating i have heard is 4 times
      working load should be the min breaking point, so you want 1000 lb
      straps ( 4 times is also the DOT rating for pressure vessels )

      so i go now bowing out the door

      scott