2835Re: Upcoming Hammock Hangers Trip--Sep 20 2003!

    Sep 10, 2003
      Our next Hammock Hangers Campout is coming up weekend after next!
      Everyone is welcome! About 7 hammockers have already signed up so
      it's promissing to be a good turn out. The temps here in western NC
      have begun their slide toward Fall--ideal weather for camping is with
      us again! This will be an excellent oppurtunity to rub elbows with
      other hammockers and compare notes. Novice and expert alike will be
      there. This could be the last good camping weekend of summer.

      Each person is responsible for his/her own gear and food. You do not
      have to sign up--just show up at the trailhead at 11am on Sat
      (driving directions below). However, letting me know ahead of time
      that you're coming would be appreciated and means we will watch for
      you.

      > Everyone Welcome!
      >
      > Join us for the third Southeast Hammock Hangers Association campout
      > on Saturday, September 20! It's FREE! This is an informal group
      > event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future
      hammockers.
      > See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock
      enthusiasts.
      > This will be an easy overnighter with an enjoyable 5-mile one-way
      > hike from the cars. We will meet mid-morning Saturday and hike
      > together to the campsite, returning to the cars on Sunday.
      >
      > Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of
      > the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun late-summer weekend.
      > Previous trips were run in Feb and April of this year and we had a
      > lot of fun; this is another chance for hammockers to show their
      > stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new
      > way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest
      stay-warm gear! Everyone will be responsible for his or her own
      > transportation, gear, food and behavior; however, we will meet at
      the trailhead and hike in together.

      > The plan is to camp on the famous Mountains-To-Sea Trail along
      North Harper Creek in the Pisgah National Forest near Mortimer,
      Caldwell Co, NC (between Blowing Rock and Lenoir, NC; about 40 miles
      NW of Hickory, 20 miles NW of Lenoir, and 15 miles north of
      Morganton, NC.
      > Access is via Interstate 40, NC-181 or US-321). This area, The
      > Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River area is NC's secret wilderness
      > treasure with numerous unspoiled mountain streams and spectacular
      > waterfalls.
      >
      > We will hike in 4 miles along the beautiful cascading North Harper
      > Creek, a tributary of Wilson Creek. We will camp Saturday nite and
      > hike out 1 mile on Sunday. We will shuttle a vehicle/s to each
      end. There will be plenty of time for visiting waterfalls and
      swimming in the creek.

      > The hike requires 8 stream crossings--this means fording rocky
      > streams in ankle-to knee-deep swift water! The water should still
      be comfortably warm with autumn just nipping at our heels. Fabric
      > tennis shoes or sandals with secure straps are recommended for the
      > crossings--wearing the same shoes for the hike in eliminates the
      need to change at each crossing. Extra dry shoes for camp are
      > recommended. Expect one stream crossing on the way out Sunday.
      > Carrying two hiking poles/staffs will make the crossings safer.
      >
      > Camp will be a large open grove of holly trees on a flat bench
      along the creek--plenty of room for up to 30 hammocks, plus unlimited
      space for tents or tarps. We will begin the hike at 11am on Saturday
      (plan for snack lunch at Harper Creek Falls, 1.3 miles in). The 4-
      mile hike in on Saturday is moderate, while the 1-mile hike out on
      Sunday is strenuous. We will shuttle back to the cars by mid-day on
      Sunday.

      > Expect daytime temps of 40-75F and nighttime temps of 25-50F. It's
      > generally still quite warm and mild this time of the year, however
      > passing cold fronts can drop the temperature significantly. Should
      > fowl weather cause the trip to be canceled, notices will be emailed
      > to individuals as well as posted on Hammock Camping-L
      >
      > Access is from Lenoir or Morganton, NC; both accessible via I-40
      > and/or US-321. On I-40, Morganton is about 55 miles east of
      > Asheville and 95 miles west of Winston-Salem. Detailed driving
      > directions to the trailhead are given below.
      >
      > There are plenty of additional spectacular trails in this area for
      > folks looking for more adventure before or after the weekend--
      hiking, kayaking, fishing, waterfalls, etc! Expect some early fall
      colors.

      > Check out these links for info on the area:
      > http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/wilson_creek.pdf
      > This is an informative Adobe Acrobat article on Wilson Creek
      >
      > http://www.mountaintimes.com/summer/hiking5.php3
      > Short info on Wilson Creek hiking
      >
      > http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/wilson_creek1.htm
      > Waterfall pics! Harper Creek Falls is the one we will see!
      >
      > To purchase the trail map: Pisgah National Forest's Wilson Creek
      > Trail Map
      > http://www.ezflyfish.com/ncustrailmap.html
      > This map covers all the trails in the area and I will have mine on
      > the hike. The map is not required to attend the hike; but some
      folks just like to have their own. The nearest ranger station where
      you can buy the map is listed in the notes below.

      > Access From I-40 (mileage is cumulative from exit 100 on I-40)
      >
      > 0.0 Exit 100 (Jamestown Rd & Glen Alpine exit) on west side of
      > Morganton, NC; service station
      > Follow Jamestown Rd north (Glen Alpine is to the south)
      >
      > 1.9 Jct Jamestown Rd & US-70; KFC, Taco Bell, gas station
      > Continue north on Jamestown Rd thru traffic light
      >
      > 2.8 Jct Jamestown Rd & NC-126 West; Jamestown Rd becomes NC-126
      East
      > Continue straight ahead thru traffic light on NC-126 East
      >
      > 3.4 Jct NC-126 East & NC-181; restaurants, grocery stores, gas
      > stations, drug store, K-Mart
      > Turn left (west) onto NC-181 at traffic light; follow NC-181 west
      out of town

      > 14.0 Space gas station (small country store)--last chance for gas,
      > check your gauge!
      >
      > 14.1 Jct NC-181 & SR-1405 (Brown Mountain Beach Road--paved
      country road),
      > Turn right (east) onto SR-1405 and pass Smyrna Baptist Church on
      > left, continue east on SR-1405
      >
      > 19.3 Jct SR-1405 & SR-1328 (watch for sign: Pisgah National Forest
      > Campground--Mortimer)
      > Turn left (north) onto paved SR-1328; follow north past Brown
      > Mountain Beach campground, pavement ends, continue on gravel SR-
      1328 parallel to Wilson Creek, note numerous pull offs for creek
      access

      > 26.7 Harper Creek Trailhead (trail # 260) on left (west) side of
      > road--watch for small sign!; limited parking along road;
      > meet here (It is 1.2 mi north to NC-90 at Mortimer)
      >
      > NOTES:
      > For those driving south on NC-181, the jct with SR-1405 (Brown
      > Mountain Beach Road--paved country road) is 2.6 mi south of the NC-
      > 181/Blue Ridge Parkway jct. Continue with directions above.
      >
      > For those driving south on US-321: take paved NC-90 west from
      Lenoir; at Collettsville, turn left (south) onto paved SR-1337;
      follow SR-1337 for 3.2 mi to right (north) turn onto paved SR-1328.
      Continue with directions above. Note: do not follow NC-90 all the
      way to Mortimer--it soon becomes a very curvy, long and narrow gravel
      road.

      > Food, gas & motels available at I-40 exits 103 & 105; also at
      > intersections along the US-64/US-70/NC-18 Truck Route around west
      > side of Morganton; hospital at exit 105 (NC-18)
      >
      > For those approaching from the west on I-40---Exit 90 Nebo & Lake
      > James Exit; US Forest Service Grandfather District Ranger Station
      > located on access road on north side of Interstate; Wilson Creek
      Area Trail Map available for purchase

      > We will meet at the Harper Creek Trailhead (trail #260) and shuttle
      > some cars to the north trailhead. Hike begins at 11 am Saturday,
      Sep 20. Do not leave valuables in parked cars.

      appreciated--you may email me at: ed@s... or call (828) 724-4444

      > Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic