2782Hammock Camping Re: Oh Boy, Cold Wars II, winding up!

  • o123david
    Sep 7, 2003
      Youngblood,
      >Without the wind the convection heat transfer is by a process caused
      >natural convection, which occurs because the warm air rises and is
      >displaced by cooler air. When the wind blows, the process is called
      >forced convection and is a much more efficient means of heat
      >transfer than natural convection because it moves more air and moves
      >it quicker, effectively removing your layer of insulating 'dead air'.

      I understand that the wind removes the layer of air that is right
      next to the pad more quickly than it would be removed if there was no
      wind. This effectively decreases the thickness of the insulation
      created by the pad.
      But, if the closed-cell foam pad is truly impervious to wind then the
      insulation created by the pad itself would not be decreased at all by
      the wind.
      The problem is that in my experience the loss of insulation created
      by strong wind is very great. This indicates to me that more is going
      on than just the loss of dead air that would otherwise surround the
      pad.
      Therefore, I am skeptical.

      >the three primary types that we deal with when we try to stay warm
      >in our hammocks-- radiant heat transfer, conductive heat transfer
      >and convective heat transfer.

      What about evaporation?

      Thanks for you response. --David
    • Show all 57 messages in this topic