2754First cold night

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Sep 3, 2003
      Hi all -

      Just wanted to send in the results of my first pretty darn cold night in a Hennessy Expedition A-sym. My wife and I went up to northern Michigan where the wild elk roam over Labor Day weekend. I spent the weekend in the hammock and the first night likely got into the mid to upper 30s F with absolutely no cloud cover. I had the Target 3/8" foam pad that is 27" wide. I rounded the corners off of it at home and I also brought a length of Reflectix (aluminized bubble wrap) as long as the pad - I think it is probably the 16" wide size as a guess. I used my GoLite Fuzz quilt and wore a Cloudveil Schoeller hat, liner gloves, fleece bottoms and Capilene lightweight top and silkweight bottoms, and my Smartwool hiking socks. I also had a fleece top that I took off and used for a pillow. I slept great all night and stayed quite warm probably until very early morning (maybe 3 to 4am) which is usually the coldest point in the night here in Michigan. I noticed cold creeping in then, but it was not overly uncomfortable. The padding was skewed a bit (the Reflectix had scooted out from underneath in spots) and that probably had something to do with it. It did not bother me enough to wrangle around to get everything back underneath me again, so I just went back to sleep and huddle more underneath the quilt.

      So far, this GoLite Fuzz quilt was an awesome purchase on super-closeout at REI. I could not sew it for what I paid for it ($40? I think). I would really like something similar in down though instead of synthetic - I think it would work just as well. Anyway, this set up is probably quite close to Shane's pad system. The only thing lacking was a Neatsheet, but that is because I couldn't find one at the store. This setup is still far too bulky for a 3100 cu in backpack (Gregory G Pack), but looks like it would work for a more roomy pack like the GVP G4 at 4500 cu in.

      Dennis
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic