2740Re: Hammock Camping more questions about pads

  • chcoa
    Sep 2, 2003
      Thanks Ed. I will go back and re-read the Jan newsletter and also
      think about picking up your book. The folding or bulging is not
      really a problem since I wont be actuall on the pad. I have made a
      wind and water resistant outer shell for my hammock which will hold
      the pad under me.
      Arizonan's are alwasy anxious for our long hot summer to end and
      cooler temps to return to the valley, but I am especially looking
      forward to the fall and winter this year for testing purposes! :)

      Thanks again for everyone input and I love this group.
      Jamie in AZ

      > Jamie, choosing the right sleep pad for any given temperature is
      > critical. While wider is generally better, thickness and density of
      > insulation is also important. I included tables of hammock pad
      > thickness vs temp in my book and in the free Jan 03 issue of Hammock
      > Camping Newsletter
      > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Jan2003.htm
      > Extra thick foam pads can become uncomfortable since they often
      produce
      > large bulges or folds. 5/8" should not be a problem--but I have had
      > problems with 3/4" ones. By itself, the 5/8" pad should be good
      down to
      > about 40-35F--below that you'll need more bottom insulation....Ed
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping>
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic