2730Re: update, plus serge???

  • Risk
    Sep 2, 2003
      Robi,

      The serged edge of material, is often the edge of the material as it
      comes from the factory... It is a fancy z shaped stitch which most
      home machines do not have. There are special serging machines that
      cost lots of money, and which are usually busy doing embroidery. They
      can serge an edge plus a lot more.

      Hope this helps.

      For my part, I find it just as useful with all our nylons and meltable
      fabrics to just cut the fabric with a red hot knife (heated with a
      propane torch every meter or two of cut) and skip all the serging
      directions.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...> wrote:
> [...]
      > >the ends. The very end folded over about 5 inches at each end. I
      > >will find out what width actually existed and then trim to that width.
      > >
      > >I am going to try to fold the pad, but if that does not work, I may
      > >try your idea of creating a hinge. Duct tape will work, though I am
      > >concerned about "creep" of the duct tape on the pad when it is warm.
      > >I am considering cutting a "dashed line" of knife cuts. to create a
      > >fold line.
      > >
      > >With my quilt, I am concerned about not having a pad down to my feet.
      > >
      > >I do as you, up to now, I have used the 27 inch wide pad as a pack
      > >frame barrel. It occurs to me that it might work to fold the excess
      > >11 inches over and let that expand into the extra room in the bottom
      > >of my G4 variant.
      > >
      > >Rick
      > >
      > >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
      > ><cclocksin@b...> wrote:
      > > > Rick, you will really like the extra width. I use a pad that is a
      > >20" x 72"
      > > > blue foam cut in half, and duct taped together, producing a pad
      that is
      > > > about 40 x 36. Used in my double bottom speer hammock, it works
      > >fantastic.
      > > > Provides complete protection around the shoulders and arms, and mine
      > >folded
      > > > in half and inserted into my G-4 pack barrel style, functions as my
      > > > packframe. The G-4 also has a pad/frame sleeve on the front of the
      > >pack, and
      > > > I carry a windshield reflector in there in case It gets really
      cold, in
      > > > which case I'll use both pads. I have not had the need yet for both
      > >pads. If
      > > > I know its going to get chilly out I'll sleep with long pants
      and wool
      > > > socks, and put my feet in the foot pocket of my mimmy bag used as a
      > >quilt.
      > > >
      > > > BTW, thanks for all your posts/pictures/experiments, etc. I had
      thought
      > > > about the benefits of a double bottom hammock ever since I bought my
      > >HH and
      > > > had to wrestle with a pad in it. Once I decided to make a Speer
      hammock,
      > > > your posts and web page convinced me to make it a double bottom. I
      > >decided
      > > > to go with the Speer method for attaching a bug net, which works
      > >great, but
      > > > I am going to try your quarter weight design on a prototype one
      of these
      > > > days. Also, on my home made Speer hammock, I use a "structural"
      > >ridge line
      > > > to keep the right sag in the hammock, ease set up, and decrease the
      > > > cocooning effect. Its simply a line tied around the loop of the
      hanging
      > > > strap just above the knot. I pulled it tight, and tied it off to the
      > >other
      > > > strap just above the knot on that end. My ridge line length is 8

      Target
      > > > pad and my quilt, I have occasionally found it hard to
      insulate myself
      > > > from the sides of the hammock, where there is no pad. Many
      times, I
      > > > have needed to pull the sides of the quilt around me to give some
      > > > insulation from the sides.
      > > >
      > > > Today, I took one of my Target pads and a second one which I was
      > > > willing to sacrifice. I cut a width of 11 inches and full
      length from
      > > > the second pad, and then used contact cement to edge glue the
      strip to
      > > > the pad so that I now have a pad 38 inches wide.
      > > >
      > > > This pad fits nicely in my 48 inch wide double bottom quarter
      weight
      > > > hammocks. I look forward to trying it out with my quilt on a nice
      > > > cool night sometime soon. I hope that I can now just use the
      quilt on
      > > > top of me, and not worry so much about trying to tuck it under me.
      > > >
      > > > I also expect that I will be building a new quilt this fall.
      I want
      > > > to see how a one pound down quilt works in comparison to my 30 oz
      > > > polarguard quilt.
      > > >
      > > > That's the hammock experimenting I spent the day off working on.
      > > >
      > > > Y'all have fun!
      > > >
      > > > Rick
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.