2702Re: Hammock Camping Prototype VERY wide pad

  • Risk
    Aug 30, 2003
      Hi Chet,

      Thanks for the kudos!

      The only mod I think I will make is to trim a little off the width of
      the ends. The very end folded over about 5 inches at each end. I
      will find out what width actually existed and then trim to that width.

      I am going to try to fold the pad, but if that does not work, I may
      try your idea of creating a hinge. Duct tape will work, though I am
      concerned about "creep" of the duct tape on the pad when it is warm.
      I am considering cutting a "dashed line" of knife cuts. to create a
      fold line.

      With my quilt, I am concerned about not having a pad down to my feet.

      I do as you, up to now, I have used the 27 inch wide pad as a pack
      frame barrel. It occurs to me that it might work to fold the excess
      11 inches over and let that expand into the extra room in the bottom
      of my G4 variant.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chet Clocksin"
      <cclocksin@b...> wrote:
      > Rick, you will really like the extra width. I use a pad that is a
      20" x 72"
      > blue foam cut in half, and duct taped together, producing a pad that is
      > about 40 x 36. Used in my double bottom speer hammock, it works
      fantastic.
      > Provides complete protection around the shoulders and arms, and mine
      folded
      > in half and inserted into my G-4 pack barrel style, functions as my
      > packframe. The G-4 also has a pad/frame sleeve on the front of the
      pack, and
      > I carry a windshield reflector in there in case It gets really cold, in
      > which case I'll use both pads. I have not had the need yet for both
      pads. If
      > I know its going to get chilly out I'll sleep with long pants and wool
      > socks, and put my feet in the foot pocket of my mimmy bag used as a
      quilt.

      > BTW, thanks for all your posts/pictures/experiments, etc. I had thought
      > about the benefits of a double bottom hammock ever since I bought my
      HH and