2676Re: Hammock Camping Re: Noland & Forney creeks (GSMNP)

  • Carl Iobst
    Aug 28 9:56 AM
      Coy,
      Sounds like a splendid outing especially if the
      leaves are in full color. Newfound gap or the
      Clingmans Dome (Forney Ridge) parking areas should be
      okay to leave vehicles since even in this age of
      cutbacks the Park Service does patrol the main roads
      regularly in search of touron automobile mishaps.
      The Fontana Boat dock can be reached through the main
      switch board @ Fontana Village (828-498-2211, ext.277)
      however, the charge per person is predicated on how
      many are in your party. example: When I went over to
      Hazel creek from the boat dock in early June there
      was eight in our party. The round-trip charge was
      $13.00 per person. Based on information I received a
      few hours ago, a hypothetical trip based on four
      people in the party, the round trip charge would be
      $60.00 per person & the one-way charge would be $45.00
      per person.
      This leaves you w/ several other options. Be the
      first call of the morning to the GSMNP Back country
      reservation office (865-436-1231; 8a-6p Eastern time)
      & realize that only through-hikers may camp outside of
      shelters (if they're filled) or get into the back
      country where Park Service patrol is almost
      non-existent & you can be a bit more flexible in using
      a LNT hammock.
      An excellent multi-day hike going/returning to
      Clingmans Dome would be Silers Bald shelter the first
      night, 2nd day- take the Welch ridge trail out to High
      Rocks (great views) & take the Bear Creek trail to #75
      for the 2nd night, 3rd day to the Forney creek trail &
      camp @ either #70, #69, or #68 the 3rd night,the 4th
      day hit the Forney Ridge trail to Clingmans
      backtracking a bit to Andrews Bald(great views) & out
      to the car.
      Cordially,
      Carl I.
      "Live life Real not virtual"
      ('Real' refers to Karl Pribrams Hollographic
      Paradigmn)

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic