2623Re: Noland & Forney creeks (GSMNP)

  • Carl Iobst
    Aug 25, 2003
      Steve,
      Lots of elevation loss & gain in your proposed hike.
      Real back country. You shouldn't see very many people
      except perhaps a few fishermen. You should find trees
      you're able to hang hammocks from since those
      watersheds were logged in the early 20th century.
      If you take two vehicles you won't have to walk
      approximately a mile or so of the Clingmans Dome road.
      Campsite # 64 would be a good choice for the first
      night & #70 (#69 if you feel up to it) for the second
      night.
      Bon Voyage!
      Carl I.
      --- Steve McBride <drsm@...> wrote:
      > Carl,
      >
      > Are you pretty familiar with that general area of
      > the Smokys? I'm taking my
      > Dad and brother into an area just off Clingman's
      > Dome in October and would
      > appreciate any insight you have. I'll be introducing
      > them to hammocks for
      > the trip (I've been churning out modified Speer's
      > hammocks like crazy
      > lately). We're taking Noland Divide Trail to Noland
      > Creek Trail, camping at
      > site 63 or 64 the first night. Springhouse Branch
      > Trail to Forney Creek
      > Trail, camping at site 70 or 69 the second night,
      > then returning to
      > Clingmans Dome along Forney Creek Trail the third
      > day. Anything I should be
      > aware of there--how are the trees, big?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Steve M