250Re: Hammock Camping My thoughts on an effective insulator

  • Chet Clocksin
    Jan 21, 2003
      I like your idea of a hammock under a hammock. You could use cheap rip-stop nylon, sold in 60" width, and just cut it to length and add the shock cord to the ends and sides.. Nice and light, and adjustable as far as the degree of insulation. The only things I can think of that might be a problem is pushing it out of the way to get into the HH without the insulating pad popping out. You could try your idea with an old bedsheet for the bottom "hammock" and fold up a fleece or wool blanket between a space blanket to use as the insulation.
      Chet

      tcoug7 wrote:
      I have been tooling this idea around for awhile.  I suppose this
      would be a good time to open up to all of you and see what kind of
      feedback I get.  In theory, it should work with any sort of hammock,
      although I'm designing it for a HH - cause that's what I use.

      Here it is:

      Did you read the post a few weeks back about hanging a secondary
      hammock below you??  I wish I could give proper credit, but I don't
      have time to go back and look up who postede it.  Anyway, that's
      probably the closest so far in theory to what I picture.  It seems
      most problems tend to be with positioning the insulating layer
      beneath you and keeping it there.  We all know what it feels like to
      wake up with some part of our person cold - even in the summer for
      me, I'm a pretty warm sleeper.  Also, a hammock is 3 dimensional,
      where a pad is 2-D for the most part.  Those annoying folds are a
      result of this.  So here is what I propose.  Take a piece of nylon
      approximately the same dimensions as the 'tub' of the hammock, maybe
      a little smaller, and run some shock cord through the far ends - ie
      the longitudional ends.  Almost like you're trying to make a
      hammock.  Now, come up with a quick and simple attachment so it can
      easily be cllipped on the the main lines going to the trees.  Are you
      with me??  Ok, now it may also need some support at the lateral
      midsection.  The HH's have what I call 'antisway' lines here.  Attach
      to them.  No need for velcro - wouldn't really work anyway IMHO.  Now
      you've created an expandable pocket under the hammock. But realize,
      it's up tight to the bottom of the tub.  Now simply insert whatever
      your choice of insulation - bug shields, reflectix, closed cell foam,
      dried leaves, pine needles, quilt - you get the picture.  Or all of
      the above!  That's the beauty of it!  You can add and subtract as you
      see fit, the shock cord adjusts accordingly.  Now, when you lie in
      the hammock proper, everything is beneath you, but separated from
      you.  You can toss and turn all you want, and your insulation stays
      put.  For HH users, it's simple - push it aside and climb in.  After
      you pull your legs in, reach down and adjust accordingly.  Probably a
      good place to keep your footware also!

      All right.....I'm ready.  Bring it on.