      From: ghman777 [mailto:ghman777@...]
      Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 8:23 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: Hammock Camping Shoulder squeeze

      Wow! Thanx for the quick reply. Im 180# and 5'11. Im not particularly
      wide shouldered but I do move alot in my sleep. I used to have a HH
      but then gave it to my brother because of the same problem. Then
      because I want this to work so much, I got a Byer from Campmor.
      Admittedly the Byer is shorter, but the HH gave me the same problem.
      Maybe I need to find a longer hammock? Do you make one?

      > I assume you are using a solid fabric nylon hammock?  I use to have
      this
      > problem when I was testing string net hammocks. You may not be doing
      > anything wrong.  If you've tried hanging with LOTS of sag, and you
      still
      > have shoulder squeeze, your hammock may be too small for you.  A
      > hammock's comfort is dependent on numerous things, but proper
      length and
      > width are essential--not all hammocks are equal!  Excessive shoulder
      > squeeze is a common problem with a hammock that is too short.  I
      > recommend a hammock at least 2 feet longer than the occupiant,
      > especially if the hammock is gathered at the ends like the Speer,
      > Hennessy or Clark--the longer the hammock, the more comfortable it
      is;
      > or the shorter the hammock, the less comfortable it is!  Hammocks
      with
      > spreader bars or wide tie-out ends may not suffer from this.
      Hammocks
      > made of string net suffer greatly from shoulder squeeze no matter
      how
      > they are pitched.  Of course, folks with very broad shoulders &/or
      > excessive weight may have more problems than other folks.  We may be
      > able to offer some suggestions if we know what hammock you are
      using,
      > what is your height and weight and what is the length of the
      hammock?
      > ...Ed

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05