      From: Chester Clocksin [mailto:cclocksin@...]
      Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 1:16 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: Hammock Camping Help sewing velcro on Speer hammock
      Finally finished my first Speer Hammock!
      Thanks everyone for the sewing tips. In the end, I took my typical shotgun approach, and did almost all of the things you all mentioned. I increased thread tension and foot tension, changed my needle, sewed on the narrow margin, and slowed WAY down. I finished the complete hammock Friday, and it's great! Thanks ED for the great instructions in your book, and for the items I purchased to make the hammock. The only modification I made was to make a double bottom, since my biggest compalint with my Hennessey was having to fight with a foam pad. The double bottom works really well, holds the pad in place, and keeps it from bunching up under me. I was sceptical at first about how comfortable the Speer Hammock would be compared to my Hennessey (and I love my Hennessey), but it is without a doubt just as comfortable, and IMHO, more versatile, thanks to the removeable bug net and large rain canopy. I don't have a sil-nylon rain canopy yet, (that will be my next purchase from ED), but using a mylar tarp made from a couple of space blankets, the additional coverage is really nice.

      Chet

      Risk <geoflyfisher@...> wrote:
      Everything Shane said, and have several back up needles.  I have
      broken needles on hook velcro several times making hammocks.  The
      plastic backing is pretty stiff.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
      <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
      > Shane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some wax
      for the thread, and I'm not sure what kind of needle I have. Thanks
      for the info.

      > Chet
      >
      > Shane Steinkamp <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
      > > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
      > > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
      > > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
      > > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
      > > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
      > > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
      > > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
      > > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
      > > netting. Anybody?
      >
      > Couple of things...
      >
      > Make sure your needle is clean and sharp.  Use a thinner needle.
      Make sure