2276RE: Hammock Camping Help sewing velcro on Speer hammock

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Jul 31, 2003
      > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
      > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
      > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
      > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
      > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
      > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
      > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
      > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
      > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
      > netting. Anybody?

      Couple of things...

      Make sure your needle is clean and sharp. Use a thinner needle. Make sure
      you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle. Make sure your bobbin
      tension isn't too tight. Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
      Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax. Put a lot of tension on your
      material.

      Shane
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic