2251Hammock Camping Re: Risk's Quarterweight hammock question

  • Risk
    Jul 30, 2003
      One side is sewn for the full length. The other side has the ends
      sewn just to make sure the ends of the pad don't pop out to the side.

      I sew the two identical sides right on top of each other. The inside
      surface always seems a little wrinkled until I get in, then it
      stretches out to tight.

      I routinely use either surface as the outside (downside) of the
      hammock, depending on which side I want to get out of the hammock once
      I tie it up to the trees. One can also make the two surfaces of
      different colors and choose one or the other to be on the outside to
      increase/decrease the stealth characteristics of the hammock. I do
      the choosing by turning the hammock upside down or rightside up.

      Rick

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
      <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
      > Rick, thanks for the clarification....makes perfect sense now.
      > One more question for you:
      > When making the double bottom of the hammock, you mention that you
      stich the layers together about 25 inches down the sides from each
      end. Does this keep the middle portion of the inside layer from
      sagging away from the outer layer? In my latest attempt at a double
      bottom, the inside layer seems too loose, even after pulling the ends
      of the inside layer an inch or so longer than the outside layer (which
      is pulled up about 2 inches). I was attempting to to just tie the
      double layer together without sewing them together at all. Seems the
      double bottom is going to very nice for holding a foam in place, if I
      could just get it right!