      From: Dennis <k1ypp@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, April 1, 2011 7:27:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by
      hammock-hanging hiker...

      Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
      Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
      not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
      just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
      few readers...that has certainly been the case.
      Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
      the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
      my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
      other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
      contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
      so as not to distract others.
      Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
      surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
      tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
      radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
      Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
      bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
      In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
      me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
      sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
      that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
      boulder. I had fun with it.
      Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
      on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
      convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
      Dennis, K1YPP
      Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
      of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail

      A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail

      Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest

      Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
      <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
      <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@...>