20681Re: LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot ?

  • EHamilton
    Jan 6, 2011
      Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

      >As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
      than flat spots. :]
      >Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
      thermarest under me.

      I guess I'm the only one who's had trouble finding places to hang. I took my
      Hennessy on a 4-night trip (Maryland section of AT) and it was hard to find
      trees the right size and right distance apart with no trees or saplings too
      close to the sides and no briars or bushes underneath where the hammock would
      hang. You've got to have exactly the right space even though it doesn't have to
      be flat ground.

      I, too, sleep with a Thermarest in the hammock. I bought it with a full
      undercover/underpad system but I find it really cumbersome, hard to set up, and
      not that effective. Surprisingly, even though I "sleep cold," I was warm
      enough down to about 50* F, and only slightly chilly in mid-40's, with the TR
      under me and my 20* down bag fluffed all around me as a quilt (wearing extra
      clothes.) However, when we knew it was going down to about freezing, I didn't
      try, slept in the shelter. What a difference between the hard floor and the
      hammock, ouch. The hammock is extremely comfortable, better than my bed.

      However............ I do find it a pain to find the right hanging trees. Also,
      the hammock + the rainfly add up to more than some of the lightweight tents I'm
      interested in, and the Thermarest is heavier than the Big Agnes Thermacore I'd
      take if I were using a tent. And there are so many long strings (although I've
      learned to wind them up over my fingers and secure w/ rubber band for carrying.)
      I am still very much on the fence about tent vs. hammock (even vs. tarp only.)
      There's not much room in there at all.... if stranded somewhere for a few
      days by injury, illness, or weather it would be very confining, I think.

      MacGyver

      Finding places to hang:

      I live in Idaho surrounded by Natl Forest, there are always places to hang.
      As I explained to a skeptical scout dad: "I get to choose where we camp, and
      where I choose there will be trees.
      But there might not be a flat spot for your tent.
      As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
      than flat spots. :]

      Warmth:
      Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
      thermarest under me.
      Other more inventive folks use underquilts and top quilts.