20616Re: [Hammock Camping] Tyvek hammock?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Aug 20, 2010
      Ralph Oborn wrote:
      > In general tyvek is a little noisy and since it is water proof
      > can form condensation puddles under you.
      >
      > It can be "washed" and made more flexible (and quiet).

      Washing tyvek does improve flexibility and greatly reduces the noise. I
      quite like the texture of washed tyvek. It's very much like paper.

      Now, why do we get condensation from a waterproof hammock (tyvek,
      silnylon) and not from a waterproof sleeping pad (thermarest's regular
      and NeoAir, ensolite pads, etc)?

      Actually, this last hiking trip (just back two days ago) was so humid
      day and night, that I've got heat rash all across my lower back.
      Sleeping on a breathable surface would have probably prevented the heat
      rash. I was sleeping on a NeoAir.

      One cold, humid, foggy night a few years ago, when car-camping at about
      2500 m in elevation, I experimented with wrapping a 'truck windshield'
      (i.e. about 2 mm of thin 'packing foam' lined with mylar--we can buy
      these sized for 2-person and 4-person tents) around my hammock as an
      outside, windproof layer. I did notice a puddle on the lowest point of
      this layer.

      A year or so later, I used tyvek to make a 'weathershield' kind of like
      Hennessey's--mainly to prevent my underquilt from being dampened by
      splashback. I didn't notice any condensation on the inside layer (more
      near 0*C nights with heavy fog), but I did notice the whole set-up was
      much warmer without the 'weathershield'.

      So, I am noticing some condensation. What about those people who are
      inserting a layer of mylar (emergency blankets) between them and their
      underquilts or Hennessey supershelters? What about condensation in a
      silnylon supershelter?

      CL
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic