20572Re: Ultralightweight Backpacking and Hammocking

  • punky
    Jun 22, 2010
      Unless you can find polypropolene that is rated 800 lbs or better, don't. Amsteel is the favored choice of whoopie sling makers for good reason. It's hollow core, very light, and very strong. You need something very, very strong. The physics of hammocking are such that you will be putting hundreds of pounds of load on the suspension of your hammock over and above just your weight.

      The arborist's rope Zing It works great for whoopie slings and closed end loops for tarps and other light duty suspension needs, for example, but you do not want to use it on the hammock suspension as it is not going to be strong enough to keep you off the ground very long.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
      > If I'd like to make my own whoopie slings do I have to use Amsteel?
      > Will other ropes work?
      > What properties do I nee to look for?
      > I'm thnking yellow Polypropelene?
      > Ralph