20566Re: [Hammock Camping] Ultralightweight Backpacking and Hammocking

  • Coracle Nigel
    Jun 17 8:34 AM
      I have recently put together a kit list for both light weight ground camping with a tarp and hammock camping. On balance the hammock setup is heavier by a pound or two because of the need for an underblanket and possibly a wind sock. The actual weight of the hammock and suspension even if light is heavier than say a bivvi bag or bug net used on the ground. My experience is of UK conditions where an underblanket and/or a wind sock a necessary for most of the year to be sure of a comfortable night.
      However if you are travelling in wooded terrain then a hammock will provide a far more comfortable night than you will get on the ground.
      Just checked my recent kit lists and the hammock set adds about 2-3 pound. With some tinkering to the suspension and not taking a windsock you could probably shave some weight off this.
      Nigel
      Sent from my iPhone