20486Re: [Hammock Camping] Para cord

  • Ralph Oborn
    May 6, 2010
      On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...>
      wrote:

      > Is parachute cord strong enough to use in combo with tree-huggers to hang a
      > hammock? For a 125-pound person? I'm a newbie on cords, ropes, etc., having
      > not used any of them for anything except clothesline and bear bags.....
      >
      > MacGyver

      The way the forces work out (remember trig?) a 200 pound person can put
      almost 400 pounds of force on each rope of the hammock. Para cord is not
      designed for that much of a load.

      With almost any thing you want to use I would suggest: try it at home (or a
      park) first!
      You don't want a "trip of a lifetime" ruined by an equipment failure the
      first night. :]

      Ralph