      From: Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, May 1, 2010 2:43:44 AM
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] MacGyver report

      Dear MacGyver,

      You need to get a good look at a Hennessey Hammock straight from the
      factory. Your's sounds as though the previous owner got some of the
      strings mixed up when tinkering with it.

      I have a Backpacker A-sym. Its stock tarp came with four black nylon
      cords that ought to be suitable for converting to whoopie slings (i.e.
      no core). The elastic tie-outs are not for the tarp; they are for the
      hammock itself, to hold it open when you're inside and to reduce swing.
      I usually do not use side tie-outs with my hammock.

      By the way, I'd say there is a really good reason for making the
      ridgeline out of something weaker than the cordage used in the rest of
      the system. This way, it is only the ridgeline that breaks when you
      overload the system. An adjustable ridgeline is good, since it will
      help you find the sweet spot for you.

      For where I hike, I need longer tree-huggers. I discovered the hard way
      (hard for the tree, that is), that you absolutely to not want the
      Hennessey spectra (or any other narrow-width rope) to come in contact
      with the tree. Some of the trees I hang from have a DBH (diameter at
      1.4 meter from the ground) of almost 2 m! Since many of the trees have
      spongy bark, I also need something wider. I followed the advise of
      someone on this forum (sorry, I've forgotten who) and bought 5-6 meters
      of cheap 1-inch wide webbing, tying it into a big loop with a waterknot.
      I loop this around the tree and tie the hammock to the ends. This
      way, there are at least two lengths of strap around the tree--even if
      the tree is big. This also reduces wear on the webbing, because the
      rope attachment points vary with each hang. If I ever need to hang from
      a really big tree (one that requires 6 people to hug), then I can untie
      that knot and put knots on each end. If necessary, the webbing can
      serve double-duty for crossing the sticky bits of landslide so
      frequently encountered on Taiwan's trails.

      EHamilton wrote:
      > One thing I don't think I like is the elastic tie-out cords for
      the fly. If I string them tight enough to hold the fly tight they're
      so tight I'm afraid they'll break. What's the advantage of elastic
      cords over non-elastic?