20379Re: [Hammock Camping] Back with questions

  • Richard Perlman
    Apr 20, 2010
      EHamilton wrote:
      > Thank you, Rich! Good tips. I have an 8 X 10 tarp but haven't tried it (I've only slept in the hammock 3 times.) There is also a tarp which the original owner custom-made, a hexagonal one, which he says works better for wind and rain than the original.

      I like a rectangular tarp over a hex tarp. Keeps a larger area
      underneath dry.

      > I haven't tried it either as I have to get some ties for it.

      I like the orange guy line like Ed Speer sells. Holds a taught line
      hitch like no one's business.

      > It seems like with all these extra underquilts etc. we're packing a lot of weight here? One reason I wanted to go to a hammock was to go lighter. The open-cell foam pad that came with the set-up, though, doesn't insulate very well. I have an extra sleeping bag I could put under there, but... lugging TWO sleeping bags? Again, seems to defeat the purpose.

      That's only for frigid weather when I carry all 3 pieces.
      The Shenandoah underquilt weighs 15 ounces. I could save maybe 8 ounces
      and buy a warmer PeaPod, but that would have cost me about $300.00. I
      chose a modular system to use between my 2 different hammocks. The Top
      Blanket also weighs only 15 ounces. My cold weather hikes are only
      weekends with my scout troop, so an extra pound is not a big deal.

      > The line you string for your gear.... do you also use that as a ridgeline for your tarp? I've been rigging the tarp with its own separate ridgeline.

      No, it's a separate line slung down low. I like to keep it within arm's
      reach: water bottle, bandana, magazine, glasses, etc. If it were
      integrated into the tarp, It would be way too high on those clear nights
      when the tarp is pitched up high or not there at all if I sleep under
      the stars. The extra line weighs .5 oz.