20321Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?

  • Tom Frazier
    Jan 13, 2010
      I've made a few 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon hammocks; rolled the two long edges, sewed on zipper and no-see-um netting and tied rope and 1" cinch buckle, added 1" wide webbing (with carabiner on one end, with sewed in loop, to make connection to trees a literal 'snap')...made one for every immediate family member, one for my brother, and will be making another for another brother as soon as he buys his materials.

      The ripstop nylon is comfortable and strong enough to handle the rigors of me camping in it constantly for the last two years. My next project is going to be making a unique underquilt (uses on buckles or elastic cord and doubles as blanket) and my own version of a tarp-tent.

      I believe there's a group here called, 'Outdoor Sewing', that is all about sewing camping gear that'll give you lots of specific information on sewing if you need it.

      Tom