20228Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • lpon2000
    Oct 15, 2009
      The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop and shove it through high branches.

      Lori

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

      > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

      > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb. that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic