      From: David <delliott78@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, Oct 14, 2009 8:55 am
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] assist in hanging higher on the tree

      I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
      on hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

      I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
      ropes to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly
      increases the forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline.
      (Both hammocks hang from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.)
      Add in the extra 70 lb. that the dog weighs for more force. Then
      consider the occasional need to use trees that are farther apart. My
      7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to handle tree-to-tree separations
      of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to use that use that a couple
      of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually try to do this across a
      hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence more sag. My
      question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree huggers
      higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be
      able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
      than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
      hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly
      on roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for
      shinnying up trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic