20219Re: Ed Speer book

  • sawyer7271
    Oct 13, 2009
      I'm 6' tall, and used 3 yards of material for mine. Instead of tying a knot at the end, I whipped the ends, which saves some length. (Details on the two websites below...)

      Checkout the make your own gear links at: imrisk.com and www.tothewoods.net
      There are some great tips and DIY projects there....

      If you don't like sewing silnylon, you can always get a Tyvek tarp. They're cheap (around $15 on ebay) and function reasonably well. (just run it though the washing machine for 1/2 hour or so...) The best part is, you can start big (8x? or 9x?) then cut it all you want until you get the size and shape you really want... (I sewed the speer tarp from the book, but I'm beginning to think I like my 8x8 tyvek better since I can set it up with 2 stakes...)

      Tyvek doesn't pack as small as Sil, and it weighs a bit more, but it's a LOT less work than sewing a tarp, or re-sewing a tarp.

      If I were to do it again, I'd most likely make a catenary cut tarp...

      Best of luck!

      John