      From: David
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:32 AM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: heavy hammocker

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom L. Vitti" <tomvitti@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I tip the scales at 295lbs...what material choices do I have? I have ed
      > speers book (read cover to cover!), and would like to DIY a speer style, but
      > I am confused with material type and choices, from what I read I am just on
      > the border of supplex and/or cordura, 1.9 ripstop is out, but I heard I can
      > double it? I doubt that this would be a lightweight option compared to a
      > tarp/groundsheet, but just want to have options...
      >
      > Any suggestions???
      >

      > Tom
      >
      > "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues"
      > Dr. Seuss
      >
      > Tom Vitti
      > West Islip High School
      > 1 Lions Path
      > West Islip, NY 11795
      > 631-893-3250
      > 631-893-3270 (fax)

      Tom,
      My first three hammocks were made with supplex, and it's a very comfortable fabric. Though I'm not heavy, I've had two people and a large dog in a supplex hammock (napping only - I wouldn't spend a night this way) which probably amounted to 325 lbs. I would suggest a two-layer hammock using supplex and 1.9 ripstop. It would be stronger than supplex alone, lighter than cordura, and you'd have the option of trying an insulating pad between the layers, like the Z-hammock.
      David