20145Re: Cold weather, warm dog

  • David and Barbara Elliott
    Sep 22, 2009
      Lance,
      I have created a photo album called "Dog Hammock" with a couple of images. My first and only prototype for this hammock was a piece of cheap fabric about 4' x 5'. I gathered one end (a la E. Speer) and gathered each corner at the other end. Both ends attached to the ends of my hammock ropes where they met my structural ridge line. At the end with two lines (from the corners) I added a side tie-out to one corner to keep the hammock open. The result was a triangular dog hammock hanging under mine. Then I coaxed Bonaparte into it, but I hung it low enough that his weight pressed the center of the hammock all the way to the ground (with his ensolite pad underneath it.) In this way he got used to the fabric pulling up around him, but didn't experience the unsteadiness of a swinging hammock. Over the course of that trip (a week in Dolly Sods Wilderness) I tightened the ropes a bit each day, so he began to get the feel of the hammock. When he would step into an elevated, unsteady hammock and lie down on command, we stopped the training until I could make a better hammock. When the pictured hammock was finished, we started over in the back yard. He still doesn't like the motion but he prefers to sleep under my hammock, and he knows where his next meal is coming from.
      David