20130California Hammocks

  • quantum72000
    Sep 17, 2009
      I recently saw a friend's camping hammock and immediately went out and bought one. I lived in Seattle, so a hammock seemed perfect for the kind of backpacking I was used toâ€"dense forests and mountain streams.

      However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.

      Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.

      -Spencer
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic