      From: John Coy
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 4:02 PM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Looking for advice/product opinions

      Can anyone offer some helpful advice, or suggestions for a good lightweight, (at least 8' x 8' and not bigger than 10' x 10') rain fly for less than $100.00. Hopefully my explanation below will give you some ideas for what I'm looking for.

      I've enjoyed hammocks forever, as an add-on for camping in comfort. Now, I'm decided to finally use one exclusively, no more tent. I've already got my hammock w/no-see-um mosquito netting. I love it.
      It's not one of the brands that I see everyone talking about, but I'm
      going to stick with it, and just need a tarp now. (by the way mine is
      a "hammockbliss" brand, at www.hammockbliss.com).

      I'm in need of a tarp/rain-fly for my hammock sleeping rig. I'd like to be able to use it in most any condition, but I use it mostly in alpine forests here in Utah. (It seems square or diamond shape is best/most versatile for hammock
      use, but if anyone prefers a rectangular cut, let me know the
      advantages to you.)

      I'm open to suggestions, but I'm considering: the white Kelty Noah, 9' x 9' tarp ($59.00), weighing 1 lb 7 oz, made of 75D 190T 450mm PU polyester taffeta (which I don't understand); and the "Big Rain Fly" Camo 3 meter x 4 meter diamond shaped tarp, (apparrantly measured opposite corner to opposite corner), weighing abt. 1 lb. 4 oz., made of polyurethane coated 244 ripstop Nylon, found at www.mosquitohammock.com (I have an idea what the polyurethane coating is, but I don't know how to compare different types of nylon, or polyesters, nor know whether it matters with respect to how it takes the polyurethane coating, nor as to whether it is even any better than just spraying, or washing with a silicon or other treatment). If it helps in getting info., specs for the Kelty Noah are found quickly at REI.com, and searching key work "noah"

      Incidently, other than weight, what are the downside to just getting a cheap-o polyeurathan tarp / tarpoline to use as a fly? Are they really that much heavier than nylon, or is it just that they don't back away very small, or is it all about durability, and ripping more easily if cut??

      Thanks a million for your advice and suggestions.